- Causes of metallic taste in the mouth
- Why there is an unpleasant taste in the mouth of women
- Diseases of the mouth
- Diseases of the digestive system
- ENT diseases, problems with the respiratory system
- To what doctor to address?
- How to get rid of the taste of metal
Metallic taste in the mouth - a sign of damage to internal organs, malfunctioning systems. But not always the unpleasant taste of the metal signals about the health problems, to provoke its appearance may errors in nutrition or non-compliance with hygiene rules.
Metallic taste in the mouth indicates a malfunction in the body
Causes of metallic taste in the mouth
Provoke the appearance of the taste of iron can some medications, poisoning with dangerous substances, beriberi, pathological processes in the oral cavity, respiratory and digestive system, some other, not harmful to health factors.
Why there is a copper taste in my mouth:
- the use of mineral water with a high content of iron ions;
- after the installation of dentures, piercing - the appearance of strange taste cause acidic foods;
- after eating the appearance of an unpleasant aftertaste can be caused by the preparation of acid-containing products in dishes made of aluminum, cast iron;
- with accumulation of plaque on the tongue, formation of tartar - similar problems arise with improper care of the oral cavity;
- reception of antibiotics, glucocorticoids, preparations for lowering the level of hydrochloric acid or sugar, statins, anti-allergy drugs;
- smoking, alcohol abuse - these factors often provoke the appearance of a taste of wet iron in men.
An unpleasant aftertaste can be caused in the tongue
When poisoning with salts and vapors of heavy metals, in addition to a sharp metallic taste, there is myalgia, dizziness, dry mouth, often develop confusion, worried about severe abdominal pain, vomiting, weakness.To provoke the appearance of steel taste can even constant contact of the skin with jewelry made of metal.
Why there is an unpleasant taste in the mouth of women
Women suffer from the appearance of a bitter-metallic taste more often than men - this is due to some hormonal characteristics.
Causes of an unpleasant aftertaste:
- at pregnancy, at approach of a climacterium occurrence of unpleasant taste can be a sign of an anemia, an avitaminosis;
- changes in taste perception on the background of hormonal adjustment - one of the first signs of pregnancy, such symptoms are considered normal if they appear no later than 3-4 months;
- a strong taste of the metal appears and during menstruation, which is also associated with a change in the hormonal background, or profuse menstruation;
- reception of oral contraceptives, dietary supplements for weight loss.
But if the taste of the mouth appears regularly, accompanied by other signs of illness, deterioration of well-being, you should not write off all the hormones, it is better to consult a doctor.
During menstruation, women often have a taste of metal in their mouths
Diseases of the mouth
Problems with the teeth, inflammatory processes of the tongue, gums are the most common cause of the appearance of rusty iron taste.
The taste of metal in the mouth - what does it mean:
- Periodontitis - the inflammatory process is accompanied by bleeding gums, loosening of the teeth, plaque appears after a few hours after cleansing, the saliva becomes more viscous.
- Glossitis - the tongue becomes numb with inflammation, there is a burning sensation, there are bubbles and sores in the mouth, salivation increases, a person complains of the sensation of the presence of a foreign object in the mouth.
- Stomatitis - inflammation of the oral mucosa occurs with certain systemic diseases, infection with pathogenic microorganisms. Pathology has many forms, can be accompanied by swelling, bleeding, redness of the tissues, pain, swollen lymph nodes, fever, strong salivation. In the mouth appear ulcers, aphthae, vesicles, an unpleasant smell is felt even after cleaning the teeth.
The taste of metal in the mouth appears due to bleeding gums
Diseases of the digestive system
Metallic aftertaste often indicates the development of severe pathologies of the digestive system, each disease is accompanied by a number of additional signs, which helps to establish an accurate diagnosis more quickly.
Pathology of the gastrointestinal tract and taste of metal:
- Iron deficiency anemia - a consequence of severe blood loss, inadequate intake of products containing iron, gastrointestinal pathology. All these diseases are accompanied by weakness, chronic fatigue, the skin becomes pale, flaky, broken and cracked nails.
- Deficiency of folic acid, vitamin B12 - develops when there is a violation of the absorption of useful elements in the intestines, with the long-term intake of barbiturates, drugs for the treatment of convulsive conditions. The skin becomes pale with a yellow tinge, a person experiences weakness, frequent attacks of dizziness and tachycardia, and a decrease in arterial indices is observed.
- Hepatitis, cysts, malignant neoplasms in the liver - diseases accompanied by drowsiness, pain in the right hypochondria, gums bleed, feces become lighter, and urine darker, blood coagulability worsens., bitterness appears the tip of the tongue. One of the main signs is that the volume of the upper and lower extremities decreases, while the stomach grows because of the accumulation of fluid in it.
- Cholecystitis, dyskinesia of biliary tract - there is a pain of blunt character in the right side, which gives in the back, problems are accompanied by attacks of vomiting, stool disorders, a slight increase temperature.
- Ulcer, gastritis with low acidity - these diseases of the gastrointestinal tract are accompanied by the appearance of a white coating on language, nausea, constipation, discomfort in the center of the stomach after eating, flatulence, rotten belching, heartburn.
ENT diseases, problems with the respiratory system
A change in taste often accompanies infectious diseases of the larynx, ears, throat, most often the cause of the appearance of a taste of the steel are pathogenic fungi.
- Otitis, diseases of the throat, sinuses of the nose - the infection first affects one of the organs, gradually spreads to other tissues. Recognize the disease can be on a white coating on the tonsils, in the mouth, there is a dry cough, a sore throat, pain and stuffiness of the nose, ears.
- Croupous pneumonia - the temperature rises to 3, and more degrees, there is pain in the sternum, with coughing sputum is brown, the disease is accompanied by signs of severe intoxication, increased heart rate and respiration. When the form is started, the nasolabial triangle and the nail plates become violet.
- Tuberculosis - weakness, a sharp decrease in weight, increased sweating during sleep, subfebrile temperature, while coughing goes sputum with impurities of blood.
- Lung abscess is a consequence of bacterial pneumonia, a strong temperature increase, headache, loss of appetite, weakness, impurities of pus and blood are present in the sputum.
- Bronchoectatic disease - can be congenital in nature, or develops after bronchitis, tuberculosis, lung abscess. Frequent attacks of cough accompanied by sputum discharge, which has an unpleasant smell, there are inclusions of pus, unpleasant symptoms appear more vividly in the mornings.
Otitis can cause an unpleasant aftertaste
The child's frequent bronchitis, which is accompanied by thick and viscous sputum, may indicate cystic fibrosis - a congenital pathology caused by a defect of a certain enzyme. Additional symptoms are a thickening of the fingertips, the nail plates become convex, a deformation of the thorax is observed.
To what doctor to address?
Since the reasons for the appearance of the taste of metal are quite different, it is necessary to visit the therapist if unpleasant symptoms appear.
After the examination and primary diagnosis, the pathology will be treated:
At a primary examination, the doctor determines the nature of the accompanying symptoms, the intensity and location of the localization pain syndrome, changes in skin condition, nails, fixes signs of inflammatory, infectious process.
Methods of diagnosis:
- general and biochemical blood test;
- clinical analysis of urine;
- test for oncomarkers;
- histological examination of punctures;
- chest X-ray;
- A swab from the throat, nose;
- Ultrasound of the digestive system, endoscopy of the stomach;
- CT, MRI.
Methods of research are aimed at identifying the focus of the lesion, the dynamics of the disease.
To identify the causes of the appearance of an unpleasant aftertaste, a throat swab may be needed
How to get rid of the taste of metal
After the diagnosis is established, the doctor prescribes medicines, additional methods of treatment, the task of therapy is to eliminate the underlying cause, which provoked the appearance of steel taste.
What to do in case of iron taste:
- to exclude from the diet fried, fatty, smoked, spicy food;
- drink purified water without gas;
- to refuse from bad habits;
- regularly eat fresh herbs, apples, liver, bran - these foods contain a lot of folic acid, iron, vitamin B12;
- with strong oxidation, replace dental implants;
- properly take care of the oral cavity, visit the dentist twice a year.
Fresh green is rich in vitamins and useful elements
Garbage, tomatoes, lemon juice, tea with ginger, cinnamon and cardamom, mint candies, citrus fruits without bitterness, rinse mouth with a solution of 200 ml of water and 5 g of salt.
Metallic taste is a possible symptom of oral, respiratory and digestive system diseases, and hormonal imbalance can provoke the appearance of an unpleasant aftertaste in women. To reveal the true reason it is possible only after visiting of the doctor and careful diagnostics.
Teeth and Mouth