- Pros and Cons of Legumes
- Storage conditions
- Preparing for cooking
A remarkable trend in our time is that more and more people are thinking about a healthy lifestyle, proper nutrition and well-being. Many want to feel fine and secure a happy old age. One of the pledges of successful practice of proper nutrition is the ability to cook deliciously from simple products: cereals, vegetables, fruits.
Why not add healthy beans to the box? Why not to diversify the table with dishes using it? Why not figure out how to cook beans in a multivark, pan or in the oven?
Pros and Cons of Legumes
Beans are well known in our country. But it is not very popular for two reasons.
- First, because of the need for prolonged cooking. When the technology of heat treatment and storage is violated, it is bitter.
- Secondly, due to the fact that it causes increased gas production. To minimize this ability of legumes, before cooking, they should be soaked for two hours in a solution of soda. By the way, white beans to a lesser degree causes flatulence, rather than red. However, with gastritis, pancreatitis, stomach ulcer and other diseases of the digestive system, as well as in nephritis and gout, this product is not necessary.
There is one more feature for beans. In its raw form it is not used for food because of its toxicity. That's why before cooking it is recommended to soak and cook. Otherwise it is bitter, and its consumption can cause poisoning.
On this argument against this product ends. Now it is more detailed about why beans are still worth introducing into your diet.
Beans contain a lot of protein. In this it can be compared with meat and fish. It will be a godsend for those who decide to become a vegetarian.
Red beans contain the most protein and are the most caloric. The second place in these indicators is white beans. Green pods are low-calorie, they contain much less protein. Their undeniable advantage is that they are prepared quickly and contain many vitamins.
Any variety of this product includes many healthy substances:
- vitamins A, C, E, PP and group B;
- microelements: copper, magnesium, potassium, iron, fluorine, iodine.
In this regard, beans are very useful for the health of teeth, heart and blood vessels. They have a diuretic effect, they normalize the metabolism and lower the sugar level. The bean balances the hormonal background and has a beneficial effect on the nervous system. In addition, thanks to the substances that make up this product, it is a means of preventing neoplasms.
The advantage of beans is that they retain all their useful properties, regardless of the methods of technical and thermal processing.
Fresh beans are stored for up to a year. Beforehand, they must be rinsed, cleaned, dried and placed in a sealed container in a refrigerator. In canned form, the shelf life of the product is two years.
Dry beans can be stored for very long, about 5 years. It must be borne in mind that the old beans are bitter, no matter how much they are soaked and cooked. To remove unpleasant taste with greater probability, during the preparation, several times completely drain the water and pour fresh.
The green string beans are stored in the freezer for no more than 6 months. Provided that it is properly frozen. For this purpose it is recommended to rinse fresh pods, cut them in half, dip them into boiling water for 3 minutes, dry and place in sealed containers or bags into the chamber.
Preparing for cooking
Green string beans are cooked quickly (about 15 minutes) and do not require pre-treatment. It is ideal as a side dish for meat or fish and as an independent dish.
From beans you can do anything you like - from an elementary side dish, to cutlets and desserts. Before we study the interesting recipes for its preparation, we will figure out how to properly cook beans.
- First it needs to be cleaned and thoroughly washed.
- Soak the product in the proportion that is, twice as much water. After 3 hours, the liquid is drained and poured clean for another 2-5 hours. Do it comfortably for the night. However, do not soak the product for more than 10 hours. During this time he can wander. Before boiling the beans, you should pour it with soda solution for another two hours, then rinse again. It should be borne in mind: when the bean is soaked, it increases in size by about 3 times. That's why you should take large dishes.
- For cooking, one glass of soaked beans should be poured with three glasses of water. Half an hour after the beginning of cooking, drain the liquid and again pour fresh water in the same ratio. Now cook the beans until cooked on medium or slow heat without a lid, constantly controlling the amount of liquid.
- How long does the bean brew? About 1 hour will be needed to prepare the red and about, to the full readiness of white. It should become soft. If you want the beans to boil, it will take more time. Salt is added for 5-10 minutes before the end of cooking or in the finished dish.
Attention! If you neglect the change of water when soaking and cooking, you can find that the finished dish is bitter.
To cook beans quickly, you need to bring it to a boil and leave it soaked for 60-90 minutes, then rinse the beans, pour fresh water and cook in a pressure cooker for 40 minutes. This way of processing will give you a bean that does not get bitter.
Another way to quickly cook beans is to cook them in a microwave oven. Before that, they need to be soaked for 6-8 hours, then placed in a glass container and cooked at a strong power for 10 minutes, and then another 20 minutes at an average.
If you want to use a multivark, then the beans must be pre-soaked for 7-8 hours, as in the traditional version. And cook on the program "soup "cooking" or "stewing hours and about 30 minutes longer, if you want it to boil. The ratio of water and beans:.
The process of preparing the product is completed, now you can quickly make any dish from beans.
Soup with mushrooms
In a frying pan fry the finely chopped onion and two grated cloves of garlic in three tablespoons of vegetable oil, add 250 g of canned or pre-cooked beans, salt and spices to taste and, liter of water or broth. The resulting mixture, boiling, simmer for 10 minutes. After using a blender, quickly mash it in a mash. Then warm it over low heat. Purified and pre-cooked mushrooms are used as decoration when serving a dish or together with beans are ground with a blender. Ready soup can also be decorated with greens.
Beans baked in tomato sauce
Finely chopped onion and garlic fry in vegetable oil, add 850 g of tomatoes in its own juice and douse under the lid for 10-15 minutes. When everything is ready, add salt, sugar and spices to taste. Put on the baking sheet, kg of pre-boiled beans, pour it with a ready tomato sauce, sprinkle with your favorite greens on top. Bake in preheated to 200º oven for about 15 minutes. Also quickly this dish can be prepared in a multivariate.
It is simply unbelievable how many delicious and healthy dishes you can quickly cook from ordinary beans. Everyone who wants to eat a varied and healthy food, will certainly find something to his liking. For sure, beans will become a frequent visitor on your table..