Today we will talk abouttampons- elements of female hygiene,It has become so popular recently due to its ease of use and convenience,that allows you to feel much freer and more comfortable in these days.
However, most likely, not everyone paid attention to the warning that exists on packages of absolutely all manufacturerstampons, namely, thattheir use can cause the so-called toxic shock syndrome.
This is one of the rare types of bacterial infection that can affect the body and even lead to death, if not in time to provide appropriate treatment.
And the recent case of this disease made a lot of noise:It happened with the successful American model Lauren Wasser, who had to resort to surgical help,as a result, she lost one leg.
What is a toxic shock syndrome?
This rare disease is one of the main risks associated with the use of tampons(not observing the precautions), and it is associated with a bacterium called Staphylococcus aureus.
In principle, this bacterium is present on our skin, in the area of the armpits, in the vagina and in the nasopharynx, so this does not mean that it is only one matter.
According to experts,about a third of people living on the planet have this kind of bacteria in their body,but do not suffer from any health problems caused by its action.
Problems with these bacteria arise if their environment changes and they fall into unusual heat, which leads to their proliferation (multiplication),it is at this point that toxins are released, which directly cause the body very significant harm..
And, strangely enough,such an environment is easily created with the help of known absorbent tampons, which accumulate a fluid within a certain time and promote growth and reproduction of bacteria.
Actuallythis is a well-known fact and, of course, there is no campaign against manufacturers of these hygiene products.
After all, all brands of these products, without exception, warn their customers about a possible "side effect" just make it in small print, on which our view stops extremely rarely, if at all stops.
At the same time, if you do not pay attention to the disease and its symptoms, you can literally destroy your body, because when women can not understand what exactly is happening to them, they try to treat not the wrong way, or at alllong do not take any measures.And then maybe it's too late.
This happened with Lauren Wasser, who has already paid her health in the fight against the disease and nowwants to share his story with the whole world, so that women are more cautiouswhen using such seemingly innocuous and habitual means of hygiene as tampons.
Here is her story ...
The sad story of Lauren began on October 3, 2012, when she felt a strong weakness, as if ill with the flu.At the same time she began menstruation (one to one, as it often happens), but because it is like usually used tampons as hygiene products, since it was more convenient for them than with them gaskets.
At that time, it was 11 years since the beginning of the first menstruation and, I must say, thatthe girl always preferred tampons, because they reliably protected from leaks and allowed to feel confident in "these days".
At a certain age, each mother tries to explain how to use tampons correctly, and, of course, thatthey should be changed every three to four hours, so as not to harm their health.
And that day Lauren, following the recommendations of her mother, seems to have done everything right, but by the evening, during the celebration of the birthday,her condition deteriorated noticeably.
"I tried to behave as usual, although I could hardly keep up, everyone was always telling me: girlfriend, you look unimportant. When I realized that I could not do it anymore, I went home, fell on the bed and closed my eyes. The only thing I wanted was to sleep. "
Thus, on that day LaurenI did not go to the hospital and just fell asleep., telling his mother that she was very tired and wanted to sleep. The next morning the troubled mother called their friend and police to her daughter: they found her on the bedroom floor.
It was just a miracle that she was still alive, the doctors said that another 10 minutes, and it would be impossible to save the girl. She was taken to hospital with a temperature of 42 ºC, internal organs were alternately refused, there was a high risk of heart attack.
After the condition of Lauren improved and when her life was already threatened nothing, the doctors made the necessary tests and putdiagnosis - toxic shock syndrome.
Unfortunately, at that time the infection already caused the girl to get gangrene.The leg had to be amputated.
After Lauren lost her leg, it seemed to her that her modeling career was over and in general life no longer makes sense.
However, over time, she managed to gather strength and she realized thatthe main thing is that she remained alive, which means that much is still ahead.And she threw all her strengths to know about as many people as possible about her illness, because it could save someone else.
Her lawyer confirmed that Laurenfiled a lawsuit against one of the brands of hygiene tampons(Kotex Natural Balance) because of insufficient information about the health risks associated with the use of their products.
Now the modelfeels much better and has even been able to return to her work thanks to people who believe in her.
In her last photo shoot, Lauren even decided (for the first time after the tragedy) to show her body as a whole and not hide the prosthesis.