Each of us has experienced unpleasant sensations caused by involuntary spasm of muscles. In most cases, there is no cause for concern - usually convulsions are caused by physical overexertion. But nevertheless it is worthwhile to be attentive, sometimes spasm of muscles signals about any disease and can be the most symptom. Learn all about the causes of seizures and how to act in this case and how to prevent their occurrence in our article.
Why do muscle cramps occur?
The causes of the appearance of seizures can be different: from lack of oxygen and mineral salts in the muscles to abnormal gait, prolonged physical activity, cold or sudden movements.In addition, you can get a muscle spasm after training in the gym, if you have not finished it with stretching exercises. The spasm occurs as a result of a sharp contraction of the muscle or muscle group and provokes a sharp severe pain. Often a spasm is felt in a dream, when a person sleeps, because of the worsening or slowing of blood circulation in the muscles.
Spasms may occur during or after exercise due to excess lactic acid formation in the muscles. Glucose is oxidized by oxygen during the production of energy by cells, in normal conditions the organism normally tolerates these metamorphoses. But,with unusually long or tense oxygen loads may be missed, so glucose turns into lactic acid, which adversely affects the muscles and the body as a whole.
In most cases, cramps are harmless and do not lead to serious consequences. Doctors advise not to go in for sports after eating and necessarily stretch the muscles at the end of training. If the causes of spasms are not completely clear, remember if you lifted heavy objects, and make sure that you drink enoughwaterper day (about 2 liters), your weight is under control, you do not suffer from obesity, lack minerals (especially sodium), a violation of blood circulation, because these factors can cause seizures. In addition, such factors include cold or, conversely, too high a temperature in the training hall, incorrect technique of executionexercises, lack of warm-up at the beginning and stretching muscles after the session..
Most often, the following muscle groups suffer from spasms: quadriceps (quadriceps muscle of anterior thigh), hamstrings, calf muscles.
How to deal with muscle spasms
At the time of severe convulsion and pain, use the following tips:
- Stop doing exercise or movement.
- Gently stretch the muscle to reduce internal tension. Keep her in this position until the spasm passes.
- If a spasm occurs in the gastrocnemius muscle, put your hand on the back of the lower leg and, with a slight pressure, hold your fingers to the knee.
- If it reduces the front surface of the thigh, lift the heel to the buttock and hold it for a few seconds.
- When spasm of the back of the thigh is important to stretch the muscles, tilting the body to the feet standing or sitting on the floor. Do not bend your knees.
- After stretching gently massage the muscle.
- Walk a few meters at a slow pace.
- Drink mineral water to make up the water-salt balance.
- With unbearable pain, attach ice to the affected area, wrapped in a towel or a soft cloth.
Natural Remedies for Seizures
If muscle cramps occur quite often, consult a doctor and try these home remedies:
- Wrap the affected muscle with a bandage and leave it until the pain passes, but do not force it too hard.
- Drink tea with ginkgo biloba, brewing three teaspoons of a dry mixture in a cup of boiling water.
- Apply to compresses compresses with natural essential oils (rosemary, eucalyptus, pine or thyme), their warming effect relaxes the muscles.
- Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a spoon of honey with a glass of hot water. Drink to make up the supply of calcium in the body.
- With leg cramps, boil a teaspoon of mustard seed in a liter of water for 10 minutes. Prepare a foot bath with this decoction and take it for 20 minutes.
- Twice a day, drink a glass of water with the addition of 10 drops of laurel oil (suitable for internal use).
- Apply a compress of apple cider vinegar and arnica extract (enough 5 minutes) to the affected area, this will help restore blood circulation and relieve pain.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to a cup of water and take 1 time a day. This is an effective remedy for muscle spasms, however, it is contraindicated in people with high blood pressure and suffering fromedemaand fluid retention in the body.
- Prepare a cocktail of a cup of milk, half a cup of natural yogurt, half a cup of orange juice and one peeled banana. Drink on an empty stomach every three days. Potassium, contained in a banana, will help to avoid cramps in the future.
- Add in 1 liter of hot water 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (cumin) and let it brew for an hour. Moisten a clean, dry cloth in the broth and apply to the affected area for a while.
Images courtesy of Jon Candy, Steffy Wonder, Phillip Capper, FatooM Qoughandoqa, Erin Koch.