- EGD - what is it?
- Indications for EGD
- Which doctor does the EGD
- Advantages and disadvantages of fibrogastroduodenoscopy
- How to prepare for the procedure
- How is the GBDS
- Explanation of results
- Consequences and possible complications
- Contraindications to the exercise
With FGDS or fibrogastroduodenoscopy, the doctor determines the condition of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum. If a person is disturbed by frequent vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, decreased appetite and heartburn, it is recommended to go through this procedure.
Fibrogastroduodenoscopy helps to determine the diseases of the digestive tract
EGD - what is it?
FGDS helps determine the effectiveness of treatment and the presence of pathologies in the digestive system. Also, the procedure is used to take the affected tissue for analysis.The method of investigation is similar to GFG of the stomach, but it is more detailed and can be performed with biopsy.
The study of the stomach and duodenum is of two types:
- Planned. The patient is prepared in advance for the procedure. It is prescribed if the doctor suspects the presence of peptic ulcer, gastritis or a tumor. A person is given direction. He will be asked to follow a diet and come to the appointed time in the office.
- Urgent. It is carried out when emergency aid is needed for bleeding or when it is necessary to remove from the body a foreign body or to determine its location.
Also FGSD is transnazalnym. It is carried through the nose of the patient and is prescribed if a person can not swallow a tube or experiences severe emetic desires. With this method, the patient can talk to the doctor and does not suffer from a vomiting reflex.
EGF can be done through the nose
The procedure is performed with the help of a gastroscopy.
The device consists of the following elements:
- tube with a diameter of 8 mm-11 mm and a length of up to 100 cm;
- rotating tip for 180C;
- a bulb that illuminates internal organs;
- a camera that takes 1 in 3 pictures and sends the image to the computer monitor;
- control device.
The images that the gastroscopy camera shows can be printed on the printer.
Indications for EGD
The procedure is assigned in the following cases:
- the patient complains of the constant abdominal pain that occurs after eating;
- hungry pains that make themselves felt 6 hours after eating;
- persistent nausea and vomiting;
- frequent heartburn and a repeated eructation with an unpleasant odor;
- a decrease in appetite and a sharp decrease in the weight of the patient;
- if there is a suspicion of bleeding in the stomach;
- when preparation for the operation is necessary.
The method allows you to take a piece of mucosa for analysis, insert a medicine into the stomach and remove the foreign body. Sometimes, with the help of FDDS, surgical intervention is performed.
With the help of FGDS it is possible to remove foreign bodies
Indications for the procedure depend on the disease:
- Ulcer. The doctor stops bleeding, injects medications, checks the organs of the digestive tract for defects, reveals the degree of inflammation.
- Polyps. With the help of the device you can find neoplasms and remove them painlessly.
- Phlebeurysm. Due to fibrogastroduodenoscopy, hemorrhage of the veins of the stomach stops.
- Reflux and inflammation of the duodenum. The study allows you to see the full picture of the disease. Subsequently, the doctor will appoint the most appropriate treatment.
- Inflammation of the mucous membranes of the stomach. It turns out that there is edema and hypertrophy of the folds.
- Inflammation of the mucosa of the esophagus. The form of the disease is determined.
- Bleeding. The device allows the doctor to detect bleeding and stop it.
- Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the large intestine. The doctor makes a fence of cells for a biopsy.
Which doctor does the EGD
Fibrogastroduodenoscopy is made by a gastroenterologist endoscopist.
Advantages and disadvantages of fibrogastroduodenoscopy
The advantages of the FDFA are:
- high information content;
- opportunity to check the patient for several diseases at once;
- rapid diagnosis;
- emergency care for bleeding;
- the opportunity to extract a foreign body and take the tissue on a biopsy.
Fibrogastroduodenoscopy allows you to take stomach tissue for biopsy
Disadvantages of the method:
- unpleasant sensations in a person during the study;
- it is difficult to make a child;
- in some cases, anesthesia is required;
- presence of contraindications;
- the occurrence of an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.
How to prepare for the procedure
Preparation for the survey begins in 2-3 days and includes the following stages:
- Patients with stenosis of the esophagus and with violations of the excretion of food through the duodenum sit on a strict diet, which the doctor prescribes.
- Patients 2-3 days before the FGSD is recommended to refuse from fatty and spicy food, alcohol, nuts and chocolate.
- You can eat before FGS and FGSD only the night before. Dinner should be before 6 pm. In food should be consumed easily digestible foods.
- The study is performed on an empty stomach. Before the analysis, you should not smoke, drink, brush your teeth, rinse your mouth.
- You should talk with your doctor about taking medication.
- It is advisable to take a clean towel with you, which should be put on your chest.
- During FGSD a person should lie quietly.
- Do not swallow saliva and talk.
- If a person uses dentures, they should be removed.
- After the end of the procedure, it is forbidden to take food for two hours.
A few days before the test, give up fatty and spicy food
How is the GBDS
For diagnostics, the patient does not need to go to the hospital. It is enough to come to the doctor's appointed time. If a person wishes, he can make a paid procedure in a frequent diagnostic center, and then come with the results of the examination to a doctor in the regional polyclinic.
First, the endoscopist will ask about an allergy to anesthetics and will sign a document where it will be indicated that the patient is familiar with the technique of the procedure and its contraindications.
For fibrogastroduodenoscopy, the person should lie on his left side, loosen the collar and press his legs to the abdomen. The doctor splashes the anesthetic into the throat if the patient does not have allergies to it, and suggests that the mouthpiece be clamped between the teeth. It will protect teeth and oral mucosa from injury, and also prevent the patient from grasping the teeth during the procedure.
The person is smoothly injected with the device. At the command of the doctor, the patient is required to perform a swallowing movement. After this, swallowing and talking is prohibited.
To relieve the unpleasant feelings you need:
- breathe freely;
- lie still and steady.
After the end of the FGD, the nurse takes the patient to the ward or asks him to wait outside the door until the results are ready. The algorithm for conducting transnasal fibrogastroduodenoscopy is the same, but the device is inserted through the nose.
When biopsy a person is injected with an additional probe and a small piece of mucous tissue is picked off. The procedure can be passed painlessly, if you listen to the doctor and do not be nervous.
Explanation of results
The analysis of the analyzes is made by the doctor-gastroenterologist.
According to the description of the result of the study, he reveals:
- in what state is the sphincter of the stomach;
- whether there are disturbances of passableness of an esophagus and a stomach;
- whether the patient has neoplasm;
- whether there is a gastritis, an ulcer, changes mucous.
After deciphering, the doctor selects the appropriate treatment.
Example of decoding
Normally, the analysis gives the following values:
- The mucous membrane of the stomach without neoplasms, its walls are pink, and the folds of the shell are straightened.
- The contents of the stomach can have a little mucus. Color - transparent.
- The gatekeeper passes and is not changed.
- Color of the esophagus - pink. The body has good cross-country ability.
- Cardia closes.
Consequences and possible complications
The method of investigation is considered safe.
Complications occur in 7% of patients:
- Bleeding during biopsy. It may occur if a person has taken an anticoagulant, aspirin or paracetamol before the procedure.
- Allergic reaction to anesthetic. The patient is obliged to warn the doctor if he has an allergy to such drugs. Before the first use of anesthetic, a person is given a sample.
- Perforation of the esophagus. Symptoms include pain in the chest and neck, accumulation of air under the skin, hoarseness, swallowing.
During the procedure, there may be unpleasant sensations:
- desires for coughing;
- copious discharge from the nose;
- increased salivation;
Occasionally, during the conduct of the exercise, nausea may appear
The following consequences may occur after the procedure:
- labored breathing, which arises from an anesthetic and passes approximately 30 minutes after the end of the FFSA;
- damage to the teeth;
- bloating and pain;
- pain in the mouth or nose.
Contraindications to the exercise
Fibrogastroduodenoscopy has the following contraindications:
- narrowing of the esophagus;
- severe internal bleeding;
- bronchial asthma, which is in acute stage;
- myocardial infarction and stroke, which occurred recently;
- an increase in the size of the thyroid gland;
- The presence of tumors that affect the location of the esophagus;
- increase in the size of the lymph nodes of the neck;
- hypertension of the third stage;
- angina pectoris;
- respiratory tract diseases.
A person may be refused to conduct an EGF if he has mental disorders.
Do not do fibrogastroduodenoscopy with enlarged lymph nodes
"In the state clinic I was assigned FGS, and in frequent they said that it is necessary to do a more complete examination. Although the price of analysis bites, I decided to listen to a private doctor. The procedure is unpleasant, but it passed without problems and justified its value. I had an ulcer. "
"I asked the doctor what to eat before the FGS of the stomach. It turned out that you need to sit on a diet of vegetables and cereals for 3 days, and on the day of the procedure do not eat. I made these recommendations with difficulty. The analysis was given to me more easily, than restriction in a delivery, but unpleasant sensations during procedure were ».
"I did not know what the FGSD was and how the procedure was done. The doctor appointed her with gastritis to clarify the diagnosis. As I saw this phone, I was terribly frightened. The nurse tried to help me: calmed, held, wiped saliva. I hope that we will not have to do more analysis. "
How often it is possible to do FGSD, the doctor decides. Doctors recommend to undergo a preventive examination once a year. Before passing the analysis, you should clarify how to prepare for it and what can be done to reduce discomfort. After the end of the study, you can not eat and drink for 2 hours. At this time, a person can feel pain in the throat and the organs of the digestive tract, which must eventually pass by itself.
Diseases of the stomach and intestines